Thursday, September 16, 2010

10 Suprising Things About Me

1. I've written three novels. I have no immediate plans to try to get published because I still want to learn so much more about people and how the world works so I can put all of that into my writing.


2. In a show of youthful rebellion, I got three piercings between the ages of eighteen and twenty, two in the cartilege of my left ear and one in my belly button. I don't wear any jewelry in those piercings now, though. I especially don't miss the belly-button ring. It was just uncomfortable.


3. When I was a teenager, my parents gave me a hand-me-down 1987 station wagon to drive. While it was free (the gas was too, God bless them), it had a bad starter that was too expensive to fix, so my auto mechanic uncle showed me how to hot wire it. Not the cool way that you see in movies by connecting two wires under the steering column. I had to put the key in the ignition to turn on the battery, then pop the hood and connect two parts of the engine with a piece of insulated wire. Presto! I had to go around town hot wiring my own car for more than a year.


4. When I was studying abroad in Mexico I ordered a hamburger that came with a side of crickets. I totally ate a few of them.


5. I once took up smoking to impress a boy. Thankfully I gave up on him before I became addicted!


6. My first job was as a cleaning lady/errand runner for homebound senior citizens. It paid very well and most of the clients were real sweethearts, but some did the crazy white-glove-to-check-for-dust routine.


7. I can't stand the taste of bananas. Not even when its mixed with other stuff in a smoothie. I can always tell.


8. I love science fiction TV shows and movies (I am an unabashed X-Fi.les fan), but I don't like reading SF novels. I'm still not sure why this is.

9. My front tooth is mostly fake. When I was seven I slipped when climbing out of a friend's pool and knocked half of it clean off. My mom was so mad because it was an adult tooth that had literally JUST grown in. I got it capped for my ninth birthday and it is still holding on.

10. I used to be really bad at managing money. I once got to Italy only to realize by bank account was overdrawn and my parents had to wire me money. Twice. Now I am a total budgeting bad-a$$.

No comments: