Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Heartbeat

Sorry for the lack of posting and commenting this past week. I was just trying to keep my head down and get through the week. Thank you all for your suggestions! When I wasn't sleeping (which is almost all the time) I did some DIY stuff and started a new knitting project. And now that it's a new budget month I am definitely going to get that pedicure!


But down to business--we went in for our second ultrasound this morning, and we saw the baby and the heart beating at 120 beats per minute. What a difference a week makes!


It was a very scary experience because they didn't let Nemo in the room until they had completed the scan, and the screen was turned away from me the whole time and the technician didn't say a thing.


So there I was, lying on a table and praying numerous silent Hail Marys when I heard a heartbeat coming from the monitor and I asked the technician if it was mine. I mean, my heart was about pounding out of my chest, so it could have been. But she gave me a funny look and said, "No, that's the baby's heartbeat."


So there you go. Here I was thinking that you could only see the heartbeat this early, not hear it.


After the technician was all done she called Nemo in and then we finally see the little bean and its little heart flickering. It was really cool. I've never gotten to see that before. I'll never forget it.


The heartbeat is in no way a guarantee. A lot can happen in the next six weeks. But I am thankful to have reached this milestone.


I've been gradually developing some symptoms, which reassures me somewhat. I sleep A LOT. As soon as I get home from work I flop down on the couch and doze until dinner time, then I eat what I can and watch tv for an hour or so before going to bed for the night. I alternate between queasy and starving, but even when I'm starving I can't eat much because everything tastes disgusting. I am incredibly thirsty though; I just can't get enough of that delicious water. Was water always this awesome?


Anyway, that's the news for now. Thank you all so much for the prayers and support! They have been invaluable to me.

8 comments:

me said...

YAY!! I've been thinking of you (and praying) this morning and waiting for this good news! How awesome! sidenote: UGH don't you hate when you're just LAYING THERE going out of your MIND and the ultrasound person won't tell you anything???!!!

Oh my gosh though what awesome news!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

praise God!!!

Karen said...

Great news!

Joy said...

Praise!! So happy for you!

Megan said...

That is wonderful!!! Praise GOD! Sidenote: just curious, but why wouldn't they let Nemo in the room?? That seems kind of strange to me...

Faith said...

That is so AWESOME for you! Sounds like they make the experience quite a bit more stressful than it needs to be, but I'm SO happy all was well! Grow, baby, grow:)!

mrsblondies said...

Great news! Sorry the u/s was stressful and they won't let Nemo in the room.

iRejoice said...

Thanks everyone!

Megan, apparently they don't let "partners" into the room while doing an early ultrasound because one has to stay absolutely still so the tech can see stuff more easily. Husbands can be distracting...