Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Brother and My Sister

1. Last year my brother graduated from a top-notch school with a degree in history. Given the state of the job market, he has so far been unable to find a job. So, with a lack of anything better to do, he joined the Nat.ional Guar.d late last year. He left for basic training on Sunday.

I'm in two minds about his decision (and I have to keep reminding myself that he is a grown man and it is HIS decision). On one hand I think it will be a good experience for him. He needs direction and structure in his life.

On the other hand I am very worried for him. He has never been very good at following directions and he has very little respect for authority, as my parents will attest. I'm having a really hard time envisioning him successfully completing basic training.

Of course there is nothing I can do about it--it's not like I can kidnap him from under the Army's nose! I'm just hope hope hoping that it goes well for him. I'm sure he will surprise me.


2. Even though we don't always get along, Older Sister is probably my best friend. At least in the sense that we tell each other everything. Last night she texted me to tell me that she was on CD 36, when her normal cycles are 27-30 days. Now, she has been sick for a full month, first with severe bronchitis and then with a stomach virus. She was sure that illness had screwed up her cycle, but she had suspicions. So I told her to email her chart to me and I would look it over.

Then early this morning she called to tell me that her temperature had dropped significantly that morning, but she decided to take a test anyway...and it was positive! Of course I'm worried, mostly because she had recently been prescribed belladonna to help her cope with the stomach virus. I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound very healthy for tiny babies. That coupled with the drop in temperature--I don't know. It sounds bad. I think I will start a Novena tonight.

I'm still waiting for her to send her chart to see if I can decipher it. She has no idea when this could have happened! She didn't even think she ovulated this cycle! Underneath to worry I am very excited. I'm excited for my lovely little Niecey, who is 20 months old, to have a little brother or sister. She is such a nurturing little girl! She'll be a great big sister. And of course I would love for Spud to have a cousin around his or her age. All of my cousins are a generation older than I am, so I can appreciate same-age cousins.

So yeah, lots of stuff has been happening. And, in just 10 short days we will (depending on his or her cooperation) find out if Spud is a little boy or a little girl. I am just this side of overwhelmed:)

2 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

Ohhh yeah for baby! Now get that gal on some progestrone!! :)Maybe the temp dip was something else though.
I've been praying for your brother and I can't wait to see what spud is!

Second Chances said...

I can't wait to find out what you're having either! Yay!

I hope your bro does well in the Army. That is a huge step and I can see why you're concerned. But, maybe it'll be just what he needs?

And I really hope your sister's pregnancy goes well. Yes, I'm with Holly, get her on progesterone! Praying.