Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm Cold

I'm always cold. It's something of a running joke with my family, with my husband, and even at work. I run space heaters sometimes in the middle of summer. When the AC broke during a heat wave, I was the most comfortable I had ever been.

My basal body temps have been consistently low, something I noticed when we started practicing NFP two and a half years ago. My pre-ovulation temps are typically between 96.3 and 96.8, while my post ovulation temps hover around 97.5.

Since doctors never ask for NFP data, it wasn't until I started reading "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition" that I realized my coldness might be a symptom of low thyroid function, which could have something to do with my difficulty getting and staying pregnant. My thyroid levels always come back normal in blood work, so I ignored the fact that I have almost every other symptom of subclinical hypothyroidism. Until I read the book.

Fatigue: I've been tired my whole life. I've had hideous dark circles under my eyes since I was ten years old. Typically I need 9-10 hours of sleep a night to feel functional.

Joint Pain: About two years back I complained to my doctor about joint pain, particularly in my lower back, pelvis, and elbows. This spurred an investigation into the possibility of having an autoimmune disorder. Although I tested ANA positive, I was never diagnosed with anything. My back still hurts. Thanks, doctor.

Increased Sensitivity to Cold: Brrrrrrr.

Pale Skin: I have an olive complexion, but I tend to be very pale. My mom used to make me go to tanning salons so I "wouldn't look like I had cancer". True story.

Brittle Nails: Boy, do I have ugly nails.

Depression: On and off since I was a teen, but much better since I have been married.

Anyway, Marilyn Shannon's book recommends to take a prenatal (which I have been taking for over a year) and a flax seed oil supplement to help raise basal body temps. I was skeptical, but you know what?

I started taking the flax seed oil on Day 1. The first four days of my cycle so far, my temps have been 97.2, 96.8, 97.3, and 97.4--well above what I would expect. I can hardly believe it! My low temps have been stressing me out for years, and it turns out there is a very simple solution. It's a small battle, but it looks like I may win this one and I am very thankful for that!

1 comment:

Blessed said...

Glad to have found your blog. I have had 1 ectopic and 2 very early miscarriages. My Thyroid tests keep coming back normal. I am currently on Clomid. I read Marilyn Shannon's book and have started Professional Prenatal Formula. I am also trying to follow her recommended diet. I hope it will improve my overall health and that I can conceive again. Congratulations and I will be praying for you.