Monday, August 16, 2010

Lily

In January 2010 it had been six months since the last miscarriage, and I was beginning to lose hope. I had given up on that particular cycle because N was going to be out of town during my fertile days. I began to pray, “God, please just give me a normal cycle, so I will know that it is possible.” Even though I was praying that specific prayer, I was shocked when I ovulated on CD14. That had never never never happened for as long as I had been charting.
I was even more shocked when my temperature stayed elevated for seventeen days past ovulation, and I was ecstatic with joy when the pregnancy test was positive. And I had such a positive outlook on the pregnancy—why would God go through the trouble if he didn’t mean for me to keep it?

In my fifth week I went to my GP for bloodwork. I really wanted to having doubling HcG so I could relax and enjoy being pregnant. My first set of numbers was excellent—2903 at five weeks and three days. The second blood draw was on a Thursday, so I had to make it through the weekend before getting the results.
On Friday, February 5th there was a snowstorm for the history books. The city shut down. Our power went out, so we had no electricity and no heat. N ad I had fun “roughing it” for the first couple of days, and finally our utilities were working again on Sunday evening, just in time for the Superbowl. Then that night while I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep, I realized that my breasts had stopped hurting, and fear descended. I knew something was horribly wrong. I was exactly six weeks at that point.

The doctor herself called me late the next morning. Just the fact that it was the doctor calling and not a nurse confirmed what I feared. I don’t remember the specific number, but it was in the 3000’s. I didn’t really hear what she said after that. All I could think was, “It’s over”.
The city remained shut down for the rest of the week. My work was closed. And I was confined to the house, waiting for my baby to die. I can’t even articulate the horror I felt.

One day that week Older Sister called me and, knowing we had been snowed in for the better part of a week, she jokingly asked me if I was pregnant yet. I danced around the subject for a while, but in the end I couldn’t lie. Yes, I was pregnant. But I wouldn’t be for long.
Days past without any bleeding or cramps, and I began to think that maybe the doctor had been wrong; maybe my baby was still alive.

But the next Sunday, when I was seven weeks, I started to spot brown blood. I went to work that Monday, but I was plagued by a feeling of malaise and ended up going home a few hours early. I called off sick the next morning, February 16. The bleeding had not picked up but the cramps were so intense that I could barely get out of bed.

The ordeal lasted nine hours. Thinking back on it now sends me into a mindless panic. The cramps came and went like contractions, and it felt as though my womb was being ground between two stones. When I was contracting the pain was so bad that I couldn’t see or think or talk. I still wasn’t bleeding very much, and I began to question my decision to miscarry at home. I began to think I might really die.

Then, late in the evening I started bleeding very heavily, and soon after the child left my body. I was empty once again.

I don’t have happy memories of that pregnancy like I do of my first. I know I was happy at the beginning, but those feelings are obscured by the isolation, terror, and pain that I felt later. When people refer to that snowstorm it makes me feel panicky and I come close to tears. I hate the month of February. I hate the number sixteen. I hate snow. That pregnancy and miscarriage changed me; I struggle with it every single day.

And I think the reason I have struggled with it so much is because I didn't allow anyone to help me bear it. To this day, Older Sister is the only one who knows about my Lily.

It was six months ago today.

1 comment:

mrsblondies said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the story of your miscarriage. It must have been even more difficult since you were stuck at home waiting in terror. I'm sad to hear of this sad anniversary of the loss of Lily.